Search This Blog

Monday 14 May 2012

Memento Mori and hair

My current work has developed into a collection of contemporary mourning jewellery. It started for me in BA7 when I became interested in the latin victorian phrase 'Memento Mori ' ( Remember that you must die!) It actually for me became a mantra for the preciousness of being alive in the moment and remembering ones own mortality. It is so important to accept ones death and the' little deaths' (losses) that occur throughout life, so that we may live fully and in the present.
My jewellery when worn brings the wearer into the present moment, you know you are wearing it. It is abit like the cognitive therapy technique of wearing a rubber band around the wrist, pinging it to bring the wearer into the now.
Hair was often used in Victorian Mourning Jewellery, so I did alittle experiment of my own.
Synthetic monofibre hair, digital ground for non porous surfaces and photographic inkjet print.

Inspirational photography from one of my pinterest mood boards.

Close up shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment