Search This Blog

Thursday 3 May 2012

Laser cutting cold porcelain

Had a mega cooking session all day tuesday, getting ready for yesterdays laser cutting. I was very organised, or so I thought. Having cooked and rolled out the cold porcelain onto cling film wrapped boards, eight in total.
When I came to taking the material off the boards, Huge Problem! It had stuck solid! Thankfully, Steph from surface design was around and looked after the lasercutter whilst I looked for a large palette knife. Thanks Steph, you saved the Day!
Cold porcelain, engraved with laser. I had to alter the settings on the laser alot to get the effect that I was after. This piece is 'After Albarn/Ansari.'

Another shot of the piece, as its still wet and pliable I can still work with it and mold it.

Our lovely laser cutter at Nuca

First batch didn't completely cut through the material, so altered the setting to 5mm.

As the material is still pliable, I can see lots of potential for future research.

No comments:

Post a Comment